Hearty, delicious, and easy. Chicken tortilla soup is quick to come together and perfect for a weeknight meal. Having different choices for the garnishes allows everyone to make this soup their own.
Forgot to defrost some chicken? No problem, just toss it in frozen and add 10 minutes to the cooking time. What do you do with the rest of the can of tomato paste if you only need 1 tablespoon?
Cover a plate with plastic wrap. Dollop the remaining tomato paste onto the plate in 1 tablespoon increments. Freeze until solid and then transfer to a freezer-safe bag. You are now ready next time a recipe only needs 1 tablespoon.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2-3 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2-3 limes juiced
- 8 cups chicken broth * see note on broth
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies other flavors of Rotel are ok if you prefer them
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies choose your preferred heat, I use mild
- 1 medium jalapeño seeds removed and minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste ** see note on freezing tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans drained and rinsed
Garnishes - use as few or as many as you want
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- diced avocado
- store-bought tortilla chips or tortilla strips ***see note on making your own
- sliced green onion
- diced red onion
- salsa or tomatoes
- grated cheese
- lime wedges
- In a large pot or dutch oven, over medium-high heat bring the broth, lime juice, and chicken to a boil. Add a bit more broth or water if the chicken is not submerged in the liquid. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Note - Increase the cooking time by 10 minutes if you are using frozen chicken. The cooking time begins once the liquid has reached a boil.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the broth, shred or dice and return it to the pot.
- Increase the heat to medium and add all of the remaining soup ingredients. Return to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes while you prep the garnishes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and allow everyone to garnish their own bowl. While the garnishes are optional, they really make the soup extra delicious and are easy to do.