This is a super easy to put together apple pie that is great for beginners. How do I know? My 8 yr old daughter was able to put the whole pie together by herself. Mom helped put in and out of the oven.
First we picked the apples. We found a stow away in our apples and gave it a Thanksgiving pardon near the compost pile.
If you are using a smaller pie tin, aim for the lower amount. Stay away from Red Delicious. They do not hold up well in a pie and turn to mush.
After you wash your apples you need to peel and slice them until you have about 7 cups of apples. Aim for slightly less if you are using a smaller pie tin – like a store-bought disposable one.
A pastry brush and a pie shield will make this pie even easier, but you can easily make do without. Don’t have a pie shield handy, you can make one out of aluminum foil.
I always play my pies on a foil lined baking sheet. Makes for easy cleanup by containing the mess if the pie decides to go volcano on you and bubble all over the oven. So grab your vanilla ice cream and go make your pie!
Apple Pie for Beginners
- 2 Pie crusts Store-bought are great
- 7 cups Apples, sliced (about 6-7 medium)
- ⅔ - ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg white beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 teaspoons Sparkling sugar crystals Turbinado (sugar in the raw) also works
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Place one of the pie crusts into the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.
- Pour the apples into the prepared pie crust.
- Place top crust onto the apples. Cut off the excess crust with a knife or kitchen shears. Pinch edges of crust together to seal. If you want to be fancy, you can cut the top crusts into strips and weave them into a lattice.
- Mix the egg white and the water in a small bowl. Brush liberally over the top crust. Sprinkle the sparkling sugar onto the crust. Place the pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet to protect the oven from spillovers.
- Cover the edges of the crust with a pie crust shield or aluminum foil. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes. Remove the pie shield or foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbly.