While these little bundles of coconut goodness are kosher for Passover, there really is no reason why they have to be limited to once a year. A great gluten-free treat that only has 6 ingredients. These coconut macaroons are heaven by themself but become otherworldly when dipped (or drizzled) with chocolate.
Coconut toasted to perfection and dunked in chocolate. Does it really need more explanation than that?
I make a combination of larger and smaller macaroons to give people options. The smaller ones are made using a tablespoon cookie scoop, and the larger ones are made using a muffin (1/4 cup) scoop. The cooking time did not change with the different sizes.
This recipe is quite sticky before it is baked. I won’t tell anyone that you licked your fingers. Go ahead. Chef’s treat. Plain, chocolate dunked, or chocolate drizzle, how will you make your macaroons?
Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (30g)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 (14 oz) bags of sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cups chocolate chips - I like a 50:50 mixture of dark and milk chips
- Move one of the racks to the upper ⅓ of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Add the coconut mixing well to make sure that the coconut is completely saturated with the wet ingredients. It may take a bit of oomph to get it all covered.
- You have a choice here in what size cookie to make. Using an ice cream scoop (¼ cup scoop) or a tablespoon cookie scoop, make mounds of the coconut mixture and place them on the parchment-lined sheet. You can place them close together they will not spread, but they should not be touching. The cookies will NOT change shape while cooking, so it is worth the extra minute to make the mounds shaped nicely.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the coconut is nicely browned. There is no time change for the different size scoops. Place the whole cookie sheet on a cooling rack and allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl or with a double boiler. Dip the macaroon into the chocolate so that half of the cookie is covered. Place back onto the parchment and allow the chocolate to set. You can place the whole baking sheet into the fridge to speed up the chocolate hardening.