A delicious balance between tart lemons and the sweetness of dusting with powdered sugar makes this cookie a delicious lemony treat.
A tablespoon cookie scoop like this one helps to keep all of the cookies the same size. This dough is quite sticky. Don’t skip that fridge step or you will run into problems rolling these into balls. I recommend sticking the bowl of dough back into the fridge in between filling the cookie sheets to help keep that dough cold.
These cookies would be perfect with a glass of iced tea.
Lemon Cloud Cookies
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (17 oz)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened (2 sticks, 8 oz)
- 2 cup granulated sugar (14 oz)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¾-1 cup confectioners' sugar sifted (3-4 oz) For coating the dough balls before baking. Don't mix it in with the dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the softened butter and sugar until it is fluffy and lighter in color. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between the addition of each egg. Scrape down the bowl then add in the lemon zest and juice, mix well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Do not overmix. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until the dough is firmer and less sticky. About 30 minutes before you are ready to bake the cookies, heat the oven to 350 °F.
- Did you remember to preheat the oven before you took the dough out of the fridge? ⬆⬆
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into a small bowl. Grab one tablespoon of the cold dough with a tablespoon cookie scoop, and use your hands to roll lightly into a ball. Drop the dough ball into the powdered sugar and toss gently until all sides are coated. Place the sugar-coated dough ball onto the parchment-lined baking sheet spaced 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until the center is set. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.