This is a family favorite. It is a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. I will often make extra chicken so I can make this later in the week. It is super flexible and works well with adding a variety of different vegetables.
The drop dumplings are easy to put together and come out so light and fluffy
Chicken Stew with Dumplings
- 4 tablespoons butter divided (½ C, 2 oz)
- ½ cup flour (2.125 oz)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 3 tablespoon dried Parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 med potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 cups cooked diced chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional-add extra veggies. I like to add 1 C chopped broccoli or green beans. if add a lot of extra veggies increase broth by 1 C.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (8.75 oz)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon butter (2.0 oz )
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or parsley or 2 tsp dried
- ¾ cup buttermilk (6 oz) or ⅔ cup liquid whey (drained from yogurt)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- On the stovetop in a Dutch oven, melt 2 Tbs. of butter. Sauté onions, carrots, and celery until soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the diced chicken. Add the remaining 2 Tbs. butter in the pot. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth slowly stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Add potatoes, parsley, and oregano. Simmer for 10-15 minutes on low while you make the dumplings. Just before adding the dumplings, stir in any soft veggies (broccoli or zucchini)
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a bowl and mix briefly. Cut in the butter with knives, or a pastry cutter until crumbly. Mix in the chives or parsley.
- Wisk together the buttermilk and egg and add all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until evenly moistened.
- Scoop the dumpling batter onto the simmering filling using a muffin scoop or 1⁄4 C measure.
- Leave space between the dumplings as they will almost double as they cook. Put a lid on the pan and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven serve hot.