This is a great one-pot recipe that is quick to put together. And thanks to the Instant Pot, is also easy to cook. It is also a great way to use up some extra ham if you made one of those for the holidays. I will use leftover ham or cut up a ham steak to make this.
Protein and fiber-packed, this is a great hearty warm your soul meal. You can use store-bought Cajun spice mix or you can easily mix your own.
You can also freeze this for later. Just portion out the bean/meat mixture into the appropriate serving size and freeze in an airtight container (or vacuum seal). When ready to use, reheat it in the microwave. I usually freeze the rice and the beans separately so I can control how much of each goes into a bowl.
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
- 1 pound dry red beans or kidney beans
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun spice mix see notes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- 4 cups broth or water
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage cut into thin slices
- 2 cups diced ham
- 3-4 cups cooked rice for serving
- Add all ingredients except for the meat and rice to the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and vent and cook on bean/chili or manual for 25 minutes. When the cooking is done, open the valve to release the pressure (QR).
- Once the pressure has dropped, open the Instant Pot and stir in the sausage and ham. I usually run the lid under cold water before I stick it back onto the pot as it helps the pot to seal if the ring is not warm and stretchy. Replace the lid and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the timer goes off allow the pot to sit for 20 minutes (NPR), then flip the valve to open to release the remaining pressure. Once the pin has dropped you are ready to plate.
- You can place some of the cooked rice into the middle of a bowl and use a ladle to scoop some of the beans on top of the rice. Alternatively, we like to put the rice on one half of the bowl and the bean mixture on the other.
- The bean/meat mixture freezes really well. Just reheat in the microwave and serve with rice.